"A good photograph is knowing where to stand" Ansell Adams.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Into the light

I've been doing Kat Sloma's Find Your Eye:Journey of Recognition course, which I have really loved. It's been great to think about all the thing that I enjoy about photography and also be challenged to try new things. One of last weeks tasks was to take photos in a different light. 
I would normally choose morning light because it suits me to photograph at this time and I love the soft, filtered light of the morning. 
So, I decided to take photos from dark into bright light.
 It was really hard. I was quite frustrated. I had this great idea to frame the Opera House with the beautiful sandstone arch. As you can see there was some difficulty getting the exposure right.
In the end I decided just to get the beautiful morning light on the sand stone.
I also had the same exposure issues with this ferris wheel. If I tried to get the texture of the fence exposed beautifully then the ferris wheel was over exposed, and if i exposed the ferris wheel well, the fence was in darkness.
I  understand that these technical issues are a bit tricky because of the limitations of the camera sensors and some of these thing could perhaps be sorted out in post-processing.
I was quite happy with this one below.

As frustrating as it was to be unable to find the right settings, I did enjoy the experience of having a go.

13 comments:

  1. I love these. Playing about with exposure is fun - and sometimes I think over-exposing really works. I love your over-exposed ferris wheel and the Opera House - it's more impressionistic and I think it works well with the subjects you chose. The light on the sandstone and water is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How courageous you are! Continuing to really challenge yourself with a tough technical situation. I too like the watercolor feel of the ferris wheel - those bright pops of color against the grey sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leanne, it was really interesting to see your process here. I especially like your final image of the ferris wheel and fence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the bottom image too! Sometimes you can't make things work the way you would like, but you learn a lot by trying. Thanks for sticking with it and sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your thoughtful approach to your photography is wonderful. I like the last photo too. but my fave is the sandstone with the light, and the water background. it's lovely. happy day to you Leanne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the second photograph here Leanne.
    Wonderful composition and beautiful light!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the bottom picture! appears that you are trying to "sneak a peek" --- cool! I appreciate your comments about my raspberry pics... I hope you don't mind that I added your blog to my sidebar - I change up my blog lists often depending on what I can learn from others...
    you have an awesome collection of photos... I really love your close-up shots & was wondering what sort of lens you use?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy your second photo. The colors and light are so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need to be quite proud of that last image....fantastically framed. I also like the last of your images from the harbor, the one where you can't see the opera house. It works for me. I've yet to find a ferris wheel to shoot...they seem like such a wonderful subject.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's great that kat's class is getting you out there experimenting! i like the last shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently saw a video tutorial on this very problem and it required a bunch of special equipment and some post processing that may have involved combining exposures - I'd say you did a beautiful job working with what you had and getting a mysterious, enticing SOOTC shot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you for trying new things and sticking to it! I love how framed the opera house -- the last image of it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for expanding on your experience with the archway and the Opera House. Talk about purposeful shooting--you really turned this into a learning opportunity for yourself. Your final ferris wheel image is wonderful--focus and exposure for the fence grounds the image and it gives the ferris wheel an ethereal feel.

    ReplyDelete