"A good photograph is knowing where to stand" Ansell Adams.

Monday, April 16, 2012

diagonals...

I was reading about  dynamic diagonals in photography at the Kat Eye Studio.
'Diagonal lines are effective because the viewer’s eye will follow them through the photograph.' 
I didn't have to look very far to find some diagonals in my own photos...
I took these a few weeks ago on a city escape.

The diagonal of the bridge rises from left to right.
I think that this diagonal makes a frame that encourages you want to look through to see the ferry in the distance.
This shot below has a bit of a zig zag effect, the wall that the seagull is standing on goes from right to left, the it continues on in the background from left to right.
In this shot of a wharf in Woolloomoloo,  the diagonal draws your eye to the end & out to sea.

Some more, from yesterday..
in the afternoon I went for a walk with James, Charlie & Poppy.
I took a few photos with my iphone & noticed that the diagonals in these 2 shots ran from bottom right to top left.
In her post Kat talked about the diagonal flowing from left to right, because that's the direction that we read (so these would be top right to bottom left).  But when I look at these shots above, my eyes seem to be drawn to bottom right -then up to the left as I follow the path or the shore line.
 And this one has (almost) parallel diagonals, the shore line & the bridge.


Very interesting to do some exploring with my camera!

11 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post, Leanne. This topic for Exploring With A Camera is a good one, and your examples here are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comments on my scavenger hunt photos Leanne!
    You have picked out some great photos to show the effectiveness of diagonals in photos. I particularly like the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These shots are very interesting, you take beautiful images Leanne. Far more creative than I dare to try at this stage! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these shots, beautiful and all great examples. The wharf and the bridge are my favourites but I love how all the diagonals you've shown really do draw your eye in - and that you have examples from right to left as well as left to right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great set of images for diagonals! I especially like how the diagonal lines frame the ferry in your first shot. I also find my eye drawn from the bottom right to top left in those two iphone pix -- wondering if it's because I'm lefthanded?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenda has left a new comment on your post "diagonals...":

    Leanne - love the shot of Woolloomoloo - all the lines and repeating patterns in the buildings create myriad diagonal lines that strongly pull me into the image. Love it! I also noticed that water is obviously a primary subject of your imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The more I look at diagonals, I think it has more to do with how we look at the subject matter than the direction of the diagonals themselves. Converging lines will probably draw your eye in a certain direction. I'll have to pay attention. I love that last bridge shot! Thanks for linking in to Exploring with a Camera.

    ReplyDelete
  8. diagonals are so much fun, and i think they add an element of movement to a shot. i love looking at photos that include them...and all of the ones you've shown here are great! that wharf shot is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are really great examples!! I love the warf. Perfect composition!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked looking at all the diagonals in your photos. The wharf shot is great and my eyes are really drawn in from left to right . I love the seagull shot too and how my eyes go from right to left on this one, over to the other side and then towards the water!
    I've really enjoyed this exercise of seeking out diagonals!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really great examples! It's hard to pick a favorite, but I'm thinking the first two. Then again...who knows? I really enjoyed viewing these.

    ReplyDelete