"A good photograph is knowing where to stand" Ansell Adams.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

similar but different

When taking photos at home or on holidays it seems that there are a lot of similarities in the types of photographs that we take. 
Even though the location is different the subject can be the same.
As I looked through my archives I can see that fences quite frequently attract my attention (and here are only a few!)
Here are a number of fences that have been taken while on holidays, or closer to home as I walk around the neighbourhood.
Fences can be made from different materials, be used for different purposes...for decoration or to keep things in or out. Some are strong and some are broken. 
Similar but different.


Not only can the subject of the photo be the same in different locations but the actual feeling of the photo can be similar.
 I think that these photos below have a feeling of calm, peacefulness & relaxation.
All in different locations.


These are the things that we've been looking at in Kat Sloma's a sense of place.

14 comments:

  1. These are wonderful photographs Leanne!
    I especially love the first one here.
    Such gorgeous light, and a beautiful composition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a beautiful collection of images Leanne. I especially like the dewy spider web, and the hammock. You've given me a true sense of your place. happy day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos and I like this notion of similar but different. It is so true for photography. And I enjoy taking photos of fences too. They're awesome for perspective shots and I always like checking out the various materials they can be made from xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fences....they seem to hold appeal for many photos. I know I'm likely to shoot them too. Maybe it's the break in the view, in nature-or for subconscious reasons that intertwine with what you mention. Your images do have a sense of calmness. Love that fishing photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am enjoying the fence images, so many varieties, and well captured. I really like that one in the last row, the far right, those foot steps on the wet grass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny isn't it that we photograph similar things all the time. I like your collections posted above, especially the fences, I am a big fan of them too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leanne - I love your fence series. Isn't it amazing when you see them all together? Each image stands on its own, but together, the effect is very powerful. And yes, peacefulness is defintely a common emotional theme for your second set.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, gorgeouus shots! I love the spider web and the wrought iron fence. The others are really lovely too. Amazing :).............x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these! I'm not sure I have any fence photos in my collection, you've inspired me to look a bit more carefully next time! Love how you've used them in your compositions and the different textures. Love the tranquility of the second set too - love the light on the water and that spider's web is amazing. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Leanne! I love your fences, you find wonderful light. And I like the feeling of serenity from the last set too. Great job in going beyond subject to find similarities in feel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post Leanne! I love your fences, you find wonderful light. And I like the feeling of serenity from the last set too. Great job in going beyond subject to find similarities in feel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many great photos! I love the fences.
    x Jes, www.twosmuppies.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. great post! you have inspired me to look through my own archives and see what is there (besides the obvious)!
    Absolutely love the spider web shot....so awesome!

    ReplyDelete