"A good photograph is knowing where to stand" Ansell Adams.

Monday, November 19, 2012

Chiaroscuro

In Kat Sloma's latest Exploring with the camera she talks about dark & light in photos- which apparently is called chiaroscuro in Italian.

This is what she wrote....
"Chiaroscuro is an Italian word, combining the words for light (chiaro) and dark (scuro), and it refers to an artistic technique of using light and dark to render an object as three dimensional in two dimensional art. It is commonly used to refer to very strong light and dark contrasts in a piece of art, such as seen in the works of Caravaggio and Rembrandt."

So, I had a search through my photos and found these photos that fit with this idea. 
I took them earlier in the year at an art exhibition on Cockatoo Island.




I always enjoy exploring with the camera!

11 comments:

  1. Great examples of chiaroscuro - and how amazing that they were all taken at the same place! I am in awe of the wonderful art exhibits in your area - really unusual and inspiring stuff. And your images capture the drama of each piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful series, Leanne.
    I absolutely love the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an interesting subject and can create great drama too. My favourite shot is number three under the canopy of leaves and the patterns created by the shadows from the windows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I love you Exploring with a Camera too! These are great examples of strong light/dark contrast. I especially love the second one, because it has a very dreamy abstract feel. If you hadn't told me about visit an exhibit, I would have been forever puzzling out how you did that! Thanks for joining in this month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the second one! Can't figure out if you were looking up or through something?? Great effect though, and really does bring out that third dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great set, love all the contrasts. My favourite is the the second one with all the light wands (if that's what they are!!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Leanne, did you pop in on my blog to leave a comment on this month's exercise from Kat? Someone has signed in as "unknown" and I don't know who it is to visit them back! It's always fun to visit others interpretation of the same exercise. Have a great day. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are wonderful! My favorite is the windows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! These are great....the dark/light contrast is so dramatic. That windows shot is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That second photo, is so intriguing...great chiaroscuro photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this series that you have shared. Perfect examples

    ReplyDelete