"A good photograph is knowing where to stand" Ansell Adams.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Christmas in the city































I was in the city on Monday. People were out & about: shopping, sight seeing, working, having coffee. There was small evidences of Christmas, trees in red pots lining the streets, an occasional wreath on a building. Events unfolded during the day that I think have shaken everyone in Sydney. A gunman holding hostages in a cafe for 16 hours ending with the tragic deaths of 2 innocent people. My heart breaks for the families of those involved & for the people who were held, who's live are forever changed.
It has been heartening to see the response in the aftermath. An outpouring of grief & support with the spontaneous laying of flowers in Martin Place, the hashtag #Illridewithyou bringing people together.

This is an unusual thing in Sydney but I'm reminded that there are parts or the world where fear, hatred & violence are everywhere. I pray that people will be resilient & continue to have hope. That they can love & support one another, show kindness and forgiveness.








5 comments:

  1. Such a shocking event. Your writing is beautiful and I share your prayers. Cyber hugs from this little bit of the world. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne, I'm so glad to see your post. The events in Sydney have shaken people not only there but around the globe. I know Sydney is a big place and there was little chance you were involved, but I was thinking of you and couldn't help worrying a bit. I'm glad to know you're OK, and my thoughts and prayers are with all those who were affected by what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heartbreaking and tragic indeed. Like Lee, I am glad to know that you and your family are safe.

    ReplyDelete